Friday, January 30, 2009

Fan club



Have you ever been a member of a fan club? I mean someone who seemingly worships the ground someone or a group of someones walk one or even something walks on? I have to say. I never have been until today. I think.

I grew up with posters of horses and puppies on my wall. I loved animals and the outdoors. I felt I was too intelligent to be in a club that worshiped someone or something so unrealistically. Many of my friends were always "in love" with someone famous or addicted to something (video games, telelvision shows, etc...), thinking of them, finding out about them, and wanting more than anything to meet them. I thought that was so strange.

The problem I see with fan clubs, or being a die hard fan of someone or something is your judgment seems to be clouded. You see that person or state of mind as perfect. Little fault can be seen. You emotions become out of control. You lose control of reasonable thinking at times. You do not see clearly.

Well, I fear I have become a member of a type of fan club and I am not enjoying it one bit. I am finding that my mind is preoccupied most of the time. I can see that my judgment has been impaired. My productivity has decreases a small amount. I am borderline obsessed. What is most frustrating is that I recognize my "fan clubness". I recognize how illogical it all is. I am not the only member. I see others who are members. Who are a little obsessed and find joy in a little piece of satisfaction. I HATE it. I hate that I have become this member of this fan club. I want to be set free.

so, all you kids out there who learned how to cope with your obsessions years ago. Help out this old lady who is experiencing it for the first time. How do I get past this? Cold Turkey? What?

1 comment:

Kristin said...

I never got into fan club stuff either - especially if it was something girlfriends talked about together, etc. I must admit, however, that I can get really into books. I love to read and always have. If I find a great book or series with interesting character development I get sucked in and a bit obsessed. I don't really have a solution to offer other than I make sure and take long breaks in between books for this reason. When I do find a new one I get into, I consciously regulate when I'm allowed to read like when Ryanna is asleep, Brian's at work, and the house is clean. You get the idea. Good luck!!!!

ps - I don't think it's the end of the world if you've found something you're really excited about as long as you know how to balance it so it doesn't take priority over truly important things. :) LOVE YA!