Thursday, February 5, 2009

over coming step by step with love



This is a picture of me when I was just a little tike, riding my trike. (funny huh?) At this point in my life my family lived in San Jose, California. I don't have a lot of memories of this city except a couple of pictures of our second home, (I was too young to have a chance remembering our first) and then I have some memories of special events. I haven't been back since I was about 12.

I am going to admit right here that at times I am a complete whiner. Last night I began to whine...to myself..at home...by myself. But then I remembered...and then I realized, that is the key. What you remember. I spent a lot of my years remembering some very painful memories.

But that is over. And who I am today is, I think, a huge improvement on who I was. and I learned...it is what you choose to remember.

I teach Psychology. Funny that someone so inept at psychological matters actually stands in front (well sits, kind of...) of a class and teaches them introductory psychology. anyway, there is a point that I taught the other day that basically says that memories that cause anxiety or stress or intense emotions are more easily remembered and more easily recalled. Those memories can often interfere with other more pleasant simple memories. In others words, sometimes, when someone has been through a tragic event that is all they can see. Well, I fell into this.

But today...well, I realized that now I need to remember different things. I need to remember those simple, happy, peaceful moments which were there, but that I forgot. I need to find that gratitude for the blessings I received but struggled to recognize for so many years. This is an interesting process and one that I have discovered..requires the atonement of Christ.

My only regret...is that I couldn't see that I truly was "born of goodly parents" because my vision had been clouded for so long.

1 comment:

Ipo said...

I have so many fond memories of my childhood....and of course some not so fond ones. But the fond one's definitely overshadow the not. Funny, while I'm reading your blog, I happen to be listening to a song entitled, "Memory Lane."