Wednesday, May 20, 2009

RULES!



I am a teacher. I like rules. Or in other words...expectations. Things I expect my students to do in order to achieve in my class. Rules make it easy to know what to do, how to do it, and when to do it. The problem I am running into....the rules of life.

Who gets to decide? I think we have too many. I mean each day it seems someone is telling me something I can, or can't do (or should or shouldn't). It is tiring.

The scriptures give us the beatitudes. The greatest commandment of all tells us to love God and the second...to love our neighbor as our self. That's it. It doesn't tell us how, when or the appropriate way to do that. It doesn't even really tell us who our neighbor is...although the parable of the good Samaritan implies...just about everyone.

But I am finding that everyone also has their own rules they live by which often they want others to live by it also. Rules...rules...rules...

There are too many conflicting rules...

O.k. I have just decided that it is obvious that I have issues with being who I want to be, since the last few posts have been too similar. I think I just need to figure this out and well, move on. Quick...before I bore the entire lot of you.

Thanks for reading. Love you guys.

2 comments:

Kristin said...

I completely agree. In fact one of the greatest lessons I have learned so far in marriage is that there is more than one right way to do things. Don't worry about speaking whatever is on your mind - this is your blog to do what you want with and I am just grateful to get a peak into the Stef I know and love. You're great!

Ipo said...

I didn't realize I was so behind in reading your blog. sorry. I have a lot of catching up to do. I love the picture of Kevin-thumb up, thumb down! What a cutie! We have to take the sweet with the sour sometimes and look for the good in everything. And the rules...amen.