Saturday, May 16, 2009

sufficient?








I was asked the other day if I felt like I was sufficient. An odd question one might think but given my history a logical one for me.

This question is one that I thought about. I do feel sufficient. I feel sufficient for my Heavenly Father. I feel sufficient for myself. The problem I see is that I have often in the past allowed the fact that there are many out there who I am not sufficient for to convince me somehow that because I am not sufficient for them, I am not sufficient.

So, the question really should be...are you sufficient for yourself. Interestingly, the person who asked me that question is someone I am pretty sure I will never be sufficient for all of the time.

I know there are times when even my family thinks I am not sufficient in the moment...but does that make me insufficient?

Can one person be sufficient to everyone all of the time?

I know I can't. I can't communicate the way some think I should. I can't think the way some think I should. I can't act the way some think I should. But does that equate sufficiency? Am I insufficient because I am not what some think I should be...sometimes?

I spent a great deal of my life trying too hard to be what I though others thought I should be. During a very difficult time of my life, a time when my self worth was tested...I was not acting the way many thought I should. In fact, much of my behavior was offensive to many. The interesting part, was that as I overcame the challenge, and began to change...I was no more sufficient than I already was. I was better, but I had always been sufficient. I just didn't know it.

Sufficiency is a state of being, one that comes from God and ourselves. It can't come from anywhere else. If we are waiting for others to tell us we are sufficient...we will never be sufficient. But to God...we have and always will be sufficient.

The last line in a quote by Mother Theresa says, "It was never between you and them, it has always been between you and God"

No comments: